|Curtis Creek Country Club was established in
1924 as a nine-hole golf course by a group of local
sports minded individuals. The original tract
of land was forested by a variety of native trees;
beautiful oaks, ash, linden, hickory, walnut,
cherry, sassafras and willow including a
cathedral-like grove of white oaks that for many
years was used for member family picnics.
Curtis Creek, a never failing stream, runs through
the tract. The original nine holes were
designed by noted Chicago golf course architect
Leonard Macomber who returned in 1930 to design an
additional nine holes on an adjoining heavily wooded
tract to the south of the original. This new
nine was played only for one year when the Club was
forced to abandon it due to the business depression.
The nine was reopened in 1954 and the full 18 holes
have been in continuous play since then. The
initial, full course irrigation system was installed
in two phases, being completed in 1984. A new
modern double row computerized irrigation system was
installed and began operation in 2000. The
golf course also includes a practice range with a
grass tee, a practice putting green and a new
combination chipping and putting green with a
The Clubhouse, designed by architect Albert W.
Coen, was opened in 1930. It now contains a
full service dining and beverage facility with a
bar/lounge, private party or meeting room, locker
room facilities for men and women and a popular
outdoor patio area.
Curtis Creek Country Club continues in its 90th
year as envisioned by its founders, a place of
beauty for the recreation and enjoyment of its
members and guests.
Ground Superintendent: Mike Papineau